Monday, May 7, 2012

Chocolate Espresso Cupcakes


These were relative latecomers to my menu.  As I sat up late one night waiting for yet another batch of cupcakes to emerge from the oven, I sipped my cup of what was probably my millionth cup of coffee.  Now, those of you who've looked through my recipes may have noticed I kinda like coffee, and by like I mean obsessed with and addicted to.  So naturally, I wondered why I didn't have a coffee cupcake in my repertoire.  It seemed like only a natural addition and it was.  I looked through several dozen recipes until this one caught my eye.  And thus, these lovely cakes were born.  The cake is a lovely chocolate with a hint of coffee flavor while the frosting is truly espresso flavor at its finest.  It may of been a late comer but it sure was a strong contender for favorite (at least for me).


Espresso Cupcakes

¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1½ cups all-purpose flour
1½cups sugar
1½teaspoons baking soda
¾ teaspoon baking powder
¾ teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
¾ cup freshly brewed strong coffee
¾ cup buttermilk
3 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon instant espresso powder

Espresso Buttercream

2 sticks of butter, softened
3 cups powdered sugar 
2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
2-6 tablespoons of whipping cream

Directions:


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners; set aside.

2. Sift together cocoa powder, flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl. Stir the espresso powder into the hot coffee until dissolved. Add the eggs into the bowl, along with the coffee/espresso mixture, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla, and mix until smooth, about three minutes. Scrape down the sides as needed. 

3. Fill cupcake wells ⅔ full. Bake until tops spring back when touched, about 20 minutes, rotating pan once if needed. Transfer to a wire rack; let cool completely.

Frosting:


4. In a small bowl, combine the espresso powder, vanilla and 1 tablespoon of milk or cream. Stir together until powder has dissolved. Put the softened butter into a large bowl, and using an electric mixer, beat the butter until pale and creamy.

5. Gradually add the powdered sugar and continue to beat until thick and paste-like.  Add the espresso/vanilla mixture and continue to beat frosting well. Add a teaspoon at a time of milk/cream until frosting is cream and frost your cupcakes as desired.
Recipe adapted from The Baker Chick

No comments:

Post a Comment