Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Whole Wheat Dog Snacks

You should know, we have dogs.  Four of them actually.  They're my baker's helpers when I'm home.  Here they are (minus one) waiting for a tasty treat.

 
I love them oh so much.  So I do what I do for all of the people I love: I bake for them.  When I was much younger I bought Michele Bledsoe's The Doggy Bone Cookbook from which the following recipe is adapted.  This recipe is healthy and spoiled, picky dog approved and very easy to make.  Bone-appetite!

Whole Wheat Dog Snacks

4 cups whole wheat flour
½ cup wheat germ (or ground Bran cereal)
¼ cup cornmeal
⅓ cup corn oil
1 ½ cups water
2 tablespoons parsley
Chicken of beef broth for basting


1. Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
2. Combine flour, wheat germ, cornmeal and parsley.  Add the water and oil to the dry ingredients.
3. Transfer to pre-floured surface and knead for 2-3 minutes.   Roll dough out to approximately ¼ inch thickness and cut with a cookie cutter (I like a smaller cookie cutter because I use them for training purposes as well).


4. Place on a greased cookie sheet and baste with chicken or beef broth for added flavor.  Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes or until edges start to brown.  


(yields about 2 ½ dozen)

No comments:

Post a Comment