Thursday, March 29, 2012

Lemon-Blueberry-Buttermilk Muffins

I started out with a recipe for blueberry-buttermilk muffins from the Totally Muffins Cookbook but I just couldn't stop looking at the sack of lemons on my counter.  Really, what goes better together than lemon and blueberry?  I'd say almost nothing.  And buttermilk?  I could write an ode to buttermilk.  I won't because it would probably be absolutely painful.  I have a secret theory that would make my foreign policy professor cringe: I think that if more people used buttermilk in more recipes the world would be a happier (and more peaceful) place, it's very simple. Before I digress into more buttermilk love let's get to the recipe.

Lemon-Blueberry-Buttermilk Muffins

6 tablespoons butter, softened
⅔ cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
2 teaspoons vanilla
2¼ cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon nutmeg
Zest of 1 lemon
1½ cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)


 1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.  Grease muffin tin or line with paper cups
2. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add eggs, vanilla and buttermilk.
 3. In another bowl mix flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg and the zest of one lemon. 
 4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix just until flour disappears.  Gently fold the blueberries into the batter.
5. Fill muffin cups to the top.  Bake for 20 minutes at 400°F.  Let cool for 5 minutes before removing from the tins.  

Enjoy warm or chilled!

No comments:

Post a Comment