Friday, June 1, 2012

Yolande's Famous Orange-Craisin Scones

So I went home to visit my family, friends and marvelous puppy (okay so she's not so small).  While home I had some free time and hungry friends- you can see where I'm going here.  My best friend Yolande, Yo for short, has made this recipe a million times and she swears this is the perfect scone recipe.  After she made them, I have to agree that these are pretty darn good.  I'd have to say the orange butter is a favorite for me.  And before you get all snippy about yet ANOTHER scone recipe (although, maybe you're a breakfast pastry fanatic like me and you like this stuff) I have to make scones.  I really do.  They're too good not to make.  What am I supposed to eat in the morning?  Cereal?  Puhleeze. 

 
Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
10 teaspoons sugar, divided
1 tablespoon grated orange peel
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon baking soda
⅓ cup cold unsalted butter
1 cup dried cranberries
¼ cup orange juice
¼ cup half-and-half cream
1 egg
1 tablespoon milk

Glaze:

½ cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon orange juice

Orange Butter:

½ cup butter, softened
2 to 3 tablespoons orange marmalade


1. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.  In a large bowl, combine the flour, 7 teaspoons of the sugar, orange peel, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Cut in butter with a fork or pastry cutter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs; set aside.


 2. In a small bowl, combine the craisins, orange juice, cream and egg. Add to flour mixture and stir until a soft dough forms.  Be careful not to over mix.

3. On a pre floured surface, gently knead 6-8 times. Pat dough into an 8-in. circle. Cut into 8 wedges. Separate wedges and place on a greased baking sheet. Brush with milk; sprinkle with remaining sugar. 


4. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to a wire rack.
Combine orange juice and powdered sugar; drizzle over scones. 


 5. Combine the orange marmalade and butter; serve with warm scones.


Adapted from Taste of Home  

No comments:

Post a Comment