Saturday, June 30, 2012

Ruby Jewel Cookies

I don't know you everyone heard (I don't know, maybe you are an internet shut in) but two things of interest happened this week.  First, Nora Ephron, the writer of Sleepless in Seattle, When Harry Met Sally and You've Got Mail (among many others), passed away.  I honestly loved all of her movies and her.  She had incredible wit and convictions and could always write a female character that resembled the complexities of real women.  I've been feeding my sadness with movie marathons in the style of Meg Ryan and Rosie O'Donnell from SIS.  It's a little sad.

Second, the Supreme Court ruled the Affordable Cara Act (Obamacare) to be constitutional.  I was on the train when it happened but this didn't stop me from hearing about the truth while CNN got it wrong.  My friend was actually protesting in front of the Court and my constitutional law buddy was firmly planted in front of the SCOTUS blog live texting me.  I thought he was pulling my leg when he told me the outcome.  NO ONE saw this coming, and if they said they did they're a liar liar who's pants are on fire. Chief Justice Roberts just doesn't swing.  He's not a swinger, in fact he just calls balls and strikes, if you buy that.

What I'm getting at is it's been a mixed week.  I have to say I'm a little more than excited by the prospect of having healthcare when I graduate next spring but none of this has anything to do with baking!  If you've read this far I'm impressed by your dedication!  You're officially my favorite!  Here's the recipe!  I found it in the William Sonoma Baking Book, which I found deeply discounted on a shopping trip.    







Ingredients 

2 large egg yolks
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
⅔ cup granulated sugar
2 sticks unsalted butter, cold, cut into small pieces
3 tablespoons whipping cream
About ⅓ cup seedless jam (in this case raspberry)
Powdered sugar for dusting









 

Directions:

 1. Grease two baking sheets or mini muffin tin, pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees.

2. In a small bowl whisk together the egg yolks and vanilla.  Set aside.

3. Using a pastry cutter whisk together the sugar and flour in a large bowl.  Gradually cut in the butter a couple pieces at a time.  Keep cutting until it begins to look crumby.  Add  the egg yolk mixture and cut in.  The dough will probably still be a little too dry at this point so add the whipping cream a tablespoon at a time JUST until the dough becomes cohesive.

4. Turn the dough out onto a sheet of plastic wrap.  Shape it into a flat disk.  Wrap and place in the refrigerator until chilled, about one hour.

5. While you’re waiting watch some TV, read a book or look up strange things on the internet.  I’ll even get you started.


6. Lightly flour your hands and shape into ¼ - inch balls.  Place each ball on the baking sheet about 1-inch apart.  If using a mini muffin tin: place one dough ball in each well.

7. Flour the end of a wooden spoon handle.  Make an indentation in the center of each cookie, but do 
not press all the way through the dough.  Using a spoon, fill each indentation with about ¼ teaspoon of jam. 

8. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until edges are golden.  If you are using a baking sheet, loosen the cookies with a spatula while they are still warm.  Let the cookies cool on the pans.  Dust with powdered sugar.
 (try not to steal the cookies until they're already dusted)
Adapted from the William Sonoma Baking Book

No comments:

Post a Comment