Monday, August 20, 2012

Cinnamon Buttermilk Muffins







Saturday mornings are nice.  The weather has cooled down significantly and the beautiful summer breeze breathes life into you when it drifts in through the open windows.  It promises that summer is almost over, and truth be told, I'm ready for it.  It's been fun, it really has.  But I'm ready.  I'm ready for my final year of college, I miss my friends (or at least the ones who don't live in Chicago, heck, I even miss the ones who live in Chicago) and most of all I'm ready for the weather to be a little less miserable.  I don't like heat, I would choose winter any day.  I was born in a very dry, cold place and humidity makes me want to die a little inside. It's awful. But while the cool weather holds let's celebrate with some muffins.  They're almost doughnut like in flavor and contain two of my favorite ingredients: buttermilk and cinnamon. Seriously? Have we no yet decided to make everything with buttermilk and cinnamon yet? If not, we should. It would make everything so much better. Even humidity. 

Muffins

7 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
⅔ cup sugar
1 large egg
1½ cups flour
1½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoons baking soda
½ teaspoons salt
½ teaspoons nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ cup buttermilk
1½ vanilla extract

Cinnamon Sugar Topping

½ cup sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease or line 12 wells of a muffin tin.  

2. In the bowl of an electric mixer on medium speed cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add the egg, beating well until fully incorporated and pale and smooth.

3. In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon.  Add to the butter mixture in 2 additions, alternating with the buttermilk and vanilla.  Stir until evenly moistened.  

4. Fill the muffin wells about ⅔ full and bake the muffins until golden, dry and springy to the touch, 20-25 minutes.  Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let the muffins cool for 5 minutes.  Remove the muffins and let stand until cool enough to handle.

 
5. To make the topping: in a small bowl stir together the sugar and the cinnamon.  Have the melted butter in another small bowl.  Hold the bottom of a muffin and dip into the melted butter, turning to coat evenly.  Immediately dip into the cinnamon sugar mixture.  Repeat with the remaining muffins.


No comments:

Post a Comment