Saturday, August 18, 2012

Key Lime Pie


I'm positive I've said this before but I'll say it again because it is so true!  Summer and pie go together like peanut butter and jelly.  It's the opposite of socks and sandals.  That's right I'm calling it out.  I HATE socks and sandals.  Separately, they're great.  I love, love, love socks.  I own tons of bright, fun socks.  And I love sandals.  But the two do not go together.  There is no excuse.  Socks go with shoes and sandals are not shoes; they're like half-shoes.  Adding socks to your half-shoes does not make them whole.  If it is cold enough to want to wear socks put on some darn shoes.


Recently the long sock/shower sandal combo has become a trend among the 'bros' out there but it's not a flattering look.  Let's try to deconstruct the logic: "Well it's chilly outside but I still want to wear my really comfortable basketball shorts and I have no energy after working my pecks to put on shoes so lets add some tall socks to this already fashion-forward look."  But I have to point out one thing (besides ugliness): cold knees.  Just saying, the calves, feet and thighs are warm but then there are the awkward, cold knees.  Solution: pants.  Simple, classic and unoffensive.

I'm sure none of you do this, and to be honest I have no idea how we got on this tangent so lets get back to pie.  Wonderful, beautiful pie.  This pie has just the right amount of tartness.  I have one suggestion: buy key lime juice.  I didn't and I ended up squeezing ridiculously small amounts of liquid out of little tiny key limes and it took forever, so please save yourself and buy the juice. Also, I love me some homemade whipped cream so I covered the whole thing.  It was a big risk, I know.  But that's me: risk taker.


Graham Cracker Crust


1½ cup graham cracker crumbs
2 tablespoons sugar
½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
4 tablespoons melted butter

Key Lime Filling

7 egg yolks
4 teaspoons key lime zest
2 cans of sweetened condensed milk (28 ounces total)
1 cup key lime juice

Sweetened Whipped Cream




¾ cup heavy, whipping cream
2 tablespoons of sugar
½ teaspoon clear, vanilla extract

Directions




1. Place the oven rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat the oven to 325 degrees. In a bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs, sugar and cinnamon.  Stir in the butter until the crumbs are moistened.  Press the mixture firmly and evenly into a pie pan.  Bake until the crust is a light golden brown and is set, about 10 minutes.

2. Increase the oven temperature to 350.  In a bowl whisk together the egg yolks and the lime zest until well mixed.  Add the condensed milk and then the lime juice, whisking well after each addition.  Pour the filling into the graham cracker crust.

3. Bake until the filling is firm in the center, 20-24 minutes.  Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.  Refrigerate until cold and firm, 2-3 hours.

4. In a deep bowl, combine the cold cream, sugar and vanilla.  Using an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment beat on medium-high speed until soft peaks form and the cream is billowy, about 2 minutes.  Refrigerate until ready use.

5. Using a pastry bag with the tip of your choice pipe the whipped cream on top of the pie.



Adapted from the William-Sonoma Baking Book
 




No comments:

Post a Comment