Saturday, September 8, 2012

Brown Sugar Cinnamon Scones




I’m here to interrupt my cupcake craziness with my other favorite baked goods: scones.  I’ve wanted to make some cinnamon scones for awhile but I couldn’t find a recipe I liked.  The one I started with today didn’t cut it for me either and I made big tweaks and rolled it up a scone cinnamon roll because I thought it would be adorable and guess what?  It was.  I highly recommend it.


Scones

2 ½ cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
4 tablespoons sugar
½ teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons butter, room temperature and cut into cubes
¾ cup heavy cream

Topping

¼ cup heavy cream
2-3 teaspoons cinnamon, to taste
2-3 Tablespoons brown sugar, to taste

 Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and grease a cookie sheet.

2. Sift together the dry ingredients.  Add the butter cubes and cut them in with a pastry or fork until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  Add the cream and stir together until must combined.

3. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface.  Smooth the dough into a large circle, about 10 inches in diameter.  Brush the surface with the cream and sprinkle the brown sugar and cinnamon evenly over the top.  Using a sharp knife cut the circle into 16 wedges.  Carefully roll the dough and place it sideways on the greased sheet.

4. Bake for 10-13 minutes, or until lightly browned and firm.

No comments:

Post a Comment